From:
Rachael Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:16:33 -0400
I would be careful about using Nystatin. My daughter used it when she was
about a year old and some stains, previously labelled "blueberry stains" by
her doctor, grew incredibly quickly in a month of topical use in her mouth
and on my nipples. Turns out the stains were cavaties and her teeth had to
be removed shortly thereafter. Her new doctor said that perhaps the
anti-fungal, anti-microbial properties of nystatin killed off the good
fluora in her mouth and allowed the strep mutans bacteria which cause decay
to fluorish. I'm not a doctor so perhaps the doctors in this group can
correct my understanding.

Rachael Barlow, LLLL Westford, MA