From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:57:02 +1000
Hi Esther and Lactnetters,
      *Yes*, unilateral breastfeeding of twins has been done.  I think this Brisbane case may be in the archives and suggest you check there.  However, to recap:
(i) This was *not* my client, but a mother who spoke at an evening breastfeeding seminar.  She had delivered two singleton children previously and although the problem breast appeared to produce milk adn became engorged, no more than drops were ever extracted from it.  So, she dried up the problem breast and BF from one breast only.  The 3rd pregnancy resulted in twins, and the same thing happened.  She dried up the problem breast and successfully breastfed 2 babies on one breast.
(ii) Yes, the milk is reabsorbed - by the body.
(iii) Don't worry about the hindmilk.  This builds up through the day, anyway. (Read carefully the fine article by Cregan and Hartmann in the June JHL, and you will understand this better.)  Just have her breastfeed and not worry unnecessarily.
    The babies (above) attended the meeting at which their mother spoke, and were plump and very active, about 8-10 months old at the time and still breastfeeding.  They were great advertisements for the success of breastfeeding twins on a single functioning breast.
    All the best for your client, Esther.  She will need your support because there are sure to be doubters on the ward and in the community.  I hope she has family to help, as feeding will take a bit longer.
    Regards,
        Virginia
        Virginia Thorley, IBCLC
         (part-time private practice, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)