From:
Patricia Blomme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:53:25 -0600
Just thought I would update you all on the mom and baby I have been
following (vacuum baby) the one who refused to go to the breast after
getting home. Well mom has been all over town to find an LC she clicks with,
which she has found. She has been given a breastshield and she can get baby
to latch onto that. But in all the assessments and gadgets tried, it was the
chiropractor that figured out what was wrong.........A FRACTURED
CLAVICAL!!!!!! Babe also developed thrush (iv antibiotics given during labor
for positive strep B).

Guess when mom brought babe close he experienced pain, this finally showing
up as the narcotic levels (from the birth) in his body decreased. Babe has
already reached birth weight at 1 week old. Will latch on for brief periods
and mom, dad and him are feeling much better. Much of feeding has been done
as fingerfeeds.

My business partner came up with something during this particular case that
I would like to share with her permission.

THE 3 R'S OF BREASTFEEDING

1. Relax: mom needs to relax so as to covey to the child that all is well
and that life is wonderful. This as we all know helps for the milk to flow.
And to relax and know she will be a good mom and what she is experiencing is
all part of the process of learning.

2.  Respect: respect the baby. This is the baby's time. We need to give the
baby what s/he is designed to have. We need to give the babe the time to
learn where the love comes from. We need to listen to what the baby has to
say and respect his/her needs.

3. Repetition: We need to repeat our breastfeeding actions over and over so
that we can lay down in the babe's memory what it feels like to breastfeed,
to obtain milk from the breast, and to learn that food and life come from
this fleshy object.