From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:42:09 -0400
Dear Barbara,

Dermatitis is, at its most basic, a skin inflammation and can occur
anywhere on the body, including the nipple/areola.  If it is allergic in
nature, then it would be treated by removing the allergen and
possibly a topical cortisone ointment.  If it is fungal, then we treat
with an anti-fungal.  If it is bacterial, we treat with an anti-bacterial
such as Bactroban.  This doctor apparently feels that this is a
bacterial rather than a fungal infection.  If there is skin abrasion and
a pussy appearance, he may be right.  Or he may know nothing
about thrush and is just using his usual treatment for skin
infections/irritations.  If she gets no relief with this treatment, then
more investigation is needed and the doctor may need to be
"coaxed" into considering problems such as thrush.
Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, LLLL, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester) USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]