Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:29:56 EDT
Pat says,

<<  I hope to  hear about more new books from
 ILCA conv so please mention anything you find useful to the rest of us who
 are sitting home this summer!>>

Well, I'm sitting here in the airport, unable to get an earlier flight to
Chicago....so I'm here for the duration.  Thought you all might like to know
that the ILCA conference was fabulous.  Kudos to Mary Rose Tully and her
staff for putting on a great show!  Special mention to Nancy Williams for a
marvelous presentation on Attachment Theory and how it relates to Attachment
parenting -- stuff we really need to be teaching our parents.  She also
showed how the Ezzo type of parenting is SO detrimental to the development of
trust in infants.  And you would have loved Jan Riordan's work on epidurals
and bf (yes, guys -- you were right.....epidurals DO affect bf....) and
Kathleen Huggins work on breast type and milk production....and there was a
lot more....

Books -- books -- books!!!  So many books, so little time.  Lots and lots of
new publications this year.  Kathleen Huggins new edition of the Nursing
Mother's Companion is out....a new edition of Mothering Multiples by Karen
Gromada which you can get from LLL was there.  I got the marvelous new
Breastfeeding Atlas by Kay Hoover and Barbara Wilson-Clay, as well as the
photo book by Jan Riordan and Kathy Auerbach.  Also picked up Tom Hale's two
new books -- the 1999 edition of Medications & Mother's Milk, and his new one
related to clinical issues and medications....of course, there is always the
new edition of Counseling the Nursing Mother....it's all and more that Pat
mentioned.  She forgot to tell you that Chapter 25 by Sandy Breck, on
research is the BEST you've ever read (and that chapter alone is worth the
price of the book).  Wow!  there were so many good new books!  In fact, when
I got to the airport, my suitcase was 5# over...."Take out the 5# or pay $50
more...."  I was able to remove 5# in books alone.  What a wonderful
time...loved it!  Scottsdale is always THE place to be.  Decided that if we
DO NOT marry daughter number 2 off next summer, we'll go to either Israel or
England for our 30th, and if we do, we'll go to Scottsdale for a week.  Guess
we can't lose, huh?

Jan Barger, enjoying (?) the airport for another couple of hours.