Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 11:36:38 EDT
<< Perhaps we should, as breastfeeding counselors, LC's etc, include
 mentioning the importance of the use of carseats, and the option of pulling
 over to the side of the road or to a gas station etc to feed- I would even
 say that to have the baby cry/scream and wait a few minutes is preferable
 and less dangerous that the above mentioned possibility- >>

We probably should mention all that, and the fact that many women manage to
breastfeed in a moving care while mom and baby remain buckled in!  With the
rear facing (infant) car seats it is much easier, but I think I remember
managing it with a toddler in a front facing seat, as well!

My family has been making long (18 driving hour) car trips since my first
baby was 9 weeks.  At age 4 and 6 they are great travelers.  But I well
remember how difficult it was with babies and toddlers, my heart goes out to
those poor parents.

Elaine Ziska
Jackson, MS