Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:36:53 +0100
>>the moms I work with typically have a back supply of
>their own milk in the freezer. I encourage this...that they "store up"
>during times of high supply.<
>
>I don't know if this is a difference between the UK and the US

I suspect  so, Magda.

I feel quite strongly that the mothers I speak to would resist the extra
pressure of having to pump and store 'just in case'  - bf is a hard enough
social task w/o putting this extra on them. If I am asked about it, or if
it comes up in a class, of course we talk about a back-up supply, but I
can't remember it coming up very often (though we always talk about
expressing in some way).

I am also a bit wary of talking about times of high supply and low supply -
as if they just happened by chance. Women worry enough about not having
enough milk without giving them the idea that low supply is an act of God.
It hardly ever is, and if it happens (for whatever reason) putting the baby
to the breast ad lib is the best way to deal with it. I don't see the point
of giving EBM to a basically healthy, thriving baby who just needs extra
feeding *instead* of simply bf.  (Note: I am not talking about early days
or crisis situations where the mother's milk has not come in, or the baby
is still unable to feed.)

We know that there is a risk that when a mother gets used to supplementing
(with ABM, EBM or whatever) it can become a habit she gets into - every
time the baby squeaks, she thinks she can't have enough milk, and the baby
is given something extra. It does not promote confidence in the process, or
the relationship, of bf.

>I know some find it *more* acceptable (cos no rude body parts of the first
>party
>touch the semi-rude body parts of the party of the second part)

LOL

>but I wonder if
>I am the only person to whom it is infinitely *less* acceptable?

No you aren't - but Magda, you know already that in the UK we do far less
expressing than the US.  I suspect that in the UK we just dislike it more
- it's a cultural thing : )

Expressing is a way of getting the best sorta milk into babies, but it
isn't breastfeeding.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne