From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:13:58 -0400
>I have a client who ate a lot of peanut butter during preg as per OBs
>How-to-Get-More-Protein hand-out.  She cont. to eat some during early
>lactation.  Has family hx of food allergies, and baby showed early signs of
>eczema.  I spoke to her about solids and her diet around 6 mo, suggesting
>avoiding dairy and w/drawing nuts.  At age 11 mo. daddy gave baby a nibble
>of peanut butter cookie and baby ended up in ER in anaphalactic shock.
>Mother is devastated:

I also have a friend with a similar situation.  It was thought that baby's
awful respiratory symptoms were due to CF (tested negative).  Mom ate alot
of peanuts during pregnancy and lactation and baby also ended up with severe
reaction on his first birthday when he ate the crust of a pb sandwich.  He
self-weaned about his first b'day.  This child (now 6 years) gets hives from
the bean table at school.  He is also severely autistic with multiple food
sensitivities (gluten, casein) and environmental allergies.

Kathy

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they
miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when
raking leaves. ~Marcelene Cox ~