From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:10:45 -0400
Kathy Dettwyler wrote:
> I disagree with the first part ("w/o your milk, you're nothing") but not
> with the second part.  I don't think mothers who bottlefeed or fathers,
will
> ever have the same close relationship as between a mother and a child who
> nursed into or beyond childhood.

I agree. I wish I could say that my relationship with my son (whom I nursed
only one week :-( ) is as close as that with my daughter, but it isn't. I
did everything I could, and we've learned to be close in other ways -- but
it was a great loss to miss out on the intimacy of nursing him until he was
ready to stop. It hurts to hear that and to say it -- but it is also the
truth.

Until I had nursed her, I would probably have denied that -- primarily
because I didn't have any idea what I was missing. I spent years grieving
over the loss of our breastfeeding relationship and thought I was done by
the time my daughter came along. In reality, though, the grief was just
beginning.

Janice Berry, mom of Zack (11/30/92) and Gina (9/4/96)
Westerville, OH