From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:43:09 +1000
Re: Cindy's query:
       Although I don't have any empirical evidence for/against breastfeeding during pregnancy in relation to miscarriages, what I have used as a good rule of thumb is this:
           Has the physician considered sexual intercourse a
           sufficient risk to forbid it?
If uterine contractions during sexual activity aren't considered to be of concern in a particular case, is there any good reason to forbid breastfeeding?  Raising this issue can be one way of negotiating with the physician a management plan which suits the individual pregnant woman, her unborn baby and the existing child.
    Individual mothers sometimes make informed choices of their own.  Years ago I had a mother with a history of pregnancy losses, and just the one baby whom she had somehow managed to carry to term or nearly term, and whom she was breastfeeding.  She was warned she had little chance of conceiving again, and even less chance of carrying a foetus to viability.  When she did become pregnant, and was threatening to miscarry, she told me she had made the choice to continue breastfeeding the one child she *did* have.  She wanted  to provide this little girl with the best, rather than deprive her of breastfeeding  for a fetus she had little chance of carrying, whether she weaned or not.  This was her choice, after she'd weighed up the issues.  She did lose the fetus, and she continued to breastfeed her little girl, which was a great comfort to the Mum.
     Perhaps someone else can come up with a study?
                                    Virginia
                                    Virginia Thorley
                                    (In rainy Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)