From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 09:13:26 -0400
I was talking to Carol Brussel this weekend and the topic turned to baseball
as the Philllies had just swept the Rockies.
Made me think of Tug McGraw who was a relief pitcher for World Series and
pennant winning NY Mets and Philadelphia Phillies teams. Tug was famous for
the battle cry "You Gotta Believe". His best pitch was a screwball which
also defined his personality.
Tug was so known as "Tug", few knew his real name of Frank Edwin McGraw. In
fact he had this nick name from so early on when asked his name in school he
said "Tug" and that the Frank McGraw on the class rooster was a mistake,
that's his father.
According to Tug's autobiography he got the nick name as an infant. His
mother breastfed all her children and Tug would tug while being nursed.
-Rob