From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 05:37:40 EDT
artificial nipple, I ask her how many patient's she has seen to make the
generalization that most babes figure out how to transition to breastfeeding
without any difficulty? I have also worn many hats across the inpatient
Maternal-Child Health Spectrum, and in my 6 months as a Level Three NICU
nurse and then later on as a post-partum and clinic consultant for lactation
, my views changed drastically. Yes, flexibility is the key,however, during
the early stages of imprinting I think nipple confusion is much more likely
to be an issue. Personality and strength of the infant are also a factor. We
would like to think that a baby will take nutriment however it is presented
if he/she becomes hungry enough. I can assure you some babes will just curl
up and appear to be taking an excessively long nap unless a knowledegable
person perceives that the babe is starving....NNS on a preemie pacy is also
very different than having fluid pour out into your mouth at a rapid and
overwhelming pace. Perhaps the NNS that most NICU's provide is adequate suck
training? It is possible to finger feed these babes although more time
consuming, which I think would be less confusing ? Not to mention that it
aids them when they cannot bottle feed with such things as increasing gastric
emptying time and soothing them. I urge you to look  at the studies that are
mentioned in Riordan and Auerbach that compare bottle feeding with
breastfeeding for further elaboration on the comfort level for each type of
feed..... SIncerely, Lisa Mooney, RN BSN soon to take the IBLCE exam and
suffering from information overload as I also just accepted a new position as
a LC at a hospital.... The only LC for that Hospital...