From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:54:36 -0400
>Remember that babies DON'T need to stay at the breast for more than 10
>minutes each side if they are being fed often

I was so dumb-lucky.  My first child was pretty intense, so when his
brother was born I found myself chasing a 3 year old much of the day
and nursing the baby in fits and starts.  I'd plunk down on the floor,
nurse for a few minutes, take the baby off and dash away again.  At
one point I thought, "This is crazy!" and kept track of what was
happening.  The baby was nursing about 5 minutes about every 15-20
minutes.  "What about adequate time?  What about letting him finish?
What about foremilk and hindmilk?" I thought.  But at 6 weeks he was
so solid he could barely bend in the middle.  He was clearly thriving,
so I shrugged and kept running, apologizing to him during the solitude
of our wee hours nursings for the lack of attention he got during the
day.

I suspect that *any* working mother whose work is physical rather than
mental is likely to fall into a work pattern like mine.  She gets more
done and her workday flows better.  And what is it that the majority
of working women present and past have tended to do?  Nurse in little
snatches - not long, but often.  I had no idea I was Mother Eternal.
I just did what I felt I had to do.  And of course it worked just
fine.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY