From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:25:28 -0600
Donna,
I think your client will have trouble getting phentermine even if she is
morbidly obese.  Phentermine and fenfluramine were used in combination to
achieve rapid weight loss, but have been associated with severe cardiac
valve disease which is not reversible.  To my knowledge it is not being
prescribed at the moment.  Am I correct on this, M.D.'s?
Question:
Is Wild Yam described as being used for heavy bleeding the same as Mexican
yam?  Mexican Yam was the first source for the drug, hydrocortisone,
according to a pharmacist/biochemist at the university.   The earliest birth
control pill, Enovid, was manufactured from this plant.  Athletes sometimes
use this in place of anabolic steroids because it is not picked up in urine
tests, but does have an androgenic effect.  I would personally hesitate to
recommend this herb during pregnancy or lactation.  I am sure not everybody
will agree.
Deanne