Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 11:25:33 EDT
I am asking those in the USA to please come forward with hard scientfic data
that a bath will protect health care works from HIV or Hepatitis.  If there
is a risk for Hepatitis then it would be prudent for health care workers to
always wear gloves when handling these babies, their excretions will also be
sources of contaminate.
I have been telling parents in childbirth classes to state they do not want
their baby bathed the first day and then before discharge the parents can do
the bath if they want.
The reasons given to me by nursing staff in the hospital for having to do the
bath on the day of delivery is: then they do not have to wear gloves when
handling the babies.
SORRY FOLKS THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Let's weight out the risks of giving this bath to baby and mom with the
un-researched response to why it has to be done.
If health care workers feel the CDC has some policy on this I would love to
see it and have they looked at other countries such as England.  What is this
policy (if there is one) based on?
I see the bathing of the newborn as an old procedure that hospital staff do
not want to give up.  Those on this list who work in this setting please
respond.  You are in a better position to make these changes.
Thanks.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass