Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:03:36 -0400
>Speaking for myself the last thing on my mind at any time was to "put my
>children to my breast(chest)".

I apologize.  I wrote with no offense intended.
Occasional opposite sex behaviors aren't particularly uncommon
in other mammals, and you can certainly induce male birds to build
nests or brood young if you shift their hormones just a bit.  I just
wondered how far below the surface the urge to nurture at the breast
is.

As it turns out, my husband also insists he's never had anything
remotely resembling such an urge.  But why the cultural fondness among
our men for giving the occasional bottle?  And don't some men actually
buy those bib/bottle arrangements?  My husband, who gave our son one
bottle and thoroughly enjoyed it, says there's a difference between
wanting to feed a baby and wanting to nurse a baby.  But is that a
culturally-induced distinction?  Or is the breastfeeding urge truly
non-existent?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  still curious in Ithaca, NY but
suspecting that this topic has been pretty well, um, milked