From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:36:46 -0400
>diane, could you share with us how you treat an SNS with bleach to further
>sterilize? i am not a pump rental person, so have only recommended boiling to
>mothers who need to disinfect equipment.

I'd rather defer to Linda Smith or Kay Hoover on this one;  seems to
me one or the other brought this up at a conference.  But what I would
do is keep a container of 10% bleach solution near the sink, and run
some of it through the bottle and tubing at least a few times a day,
preceded by a rinse and followed by soapy water and good rinsing.  And
once or twice a day I'd let it soak in the solution for 10 minutes or
so, partly to increase the contact time and partly to disinfect the
*outside* of the tubing.

Anyone have a better approach?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY, increasingly intimidated by
Yeast