From:
"Nice, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:05:49 -0400
This was an article (front page of Washington Times "Family Times" section that
consisted of almost two pages by Karen Goldberg Goff.
Almost half-page color picture of mother (Jennifer Crump, mother of two from
Reston, VA) breast-feeding (editor used the "hyphen" throughout the article) her
infant, Elizabeth, on a public park bench.
The article was fairly balance between pro and nonpro breastfeeding positions.
Bylines stated:  BREAST-FEEDING: "I went into it committed for six months.  But
is was going well, so I kept at it.  It can be inconvenient at times, but
sometimes it is more convenient..." and BREAST-FEEDING: "Epidemiological
research shows that human milk provides advantages with regard to growth,
general health and development, while significantly decreasing risk for ...
disease," and "Studies suggest a relationship between breast-feeding and higher
IQs," and "There is widespread recognition...that breast-feeding is the best
way.  But moms need to know there are good substitutes."
The formula advocates were Peggy Robin, author of Bottlefeeding Without Guilt: A
Reassuring Guide for Loving Parents, and Roland Tuley, spokesman for Enfamil
("There is widespread recognition among the experts that breast-feeding is the
best way, but moms need to know there are good substitutes,  We are not equal to
breast milk, and in our lifetime we won't be.  Our aim is never to compete with
breast milk (my own observation: Really!!!).  What we are trying to offer is
when it is time to supplement, we would obviously rather have you use our
formula."
The article also contained a side article on workplace breastfeeding programs,
including the NIH program.
Also, a "More Info:" side article with books: The Womanly Art of Breast-feeding;
Bottlefeeding Without Guilt, A Reassuring Guide for Loving Parents; (interesting
that bottlefeeding has no hyphen in it); The Complete Book of Breast-feeding;
Breastfeeding: A Holistic Handbook; Breastfeeding and the Working Mother;
Breastfeeding and the Adopted Baby; Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding;
and Nursing Mother's Companion.
It also listed contacts for Laleche League and the American Academy of
Pediatrics  and web sites, The Bright Lactation Resource Center and for iVillage
(I do not know what this web site is) and Parenting Magazine.

Frank J. Nice, DPA, CPHP