From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 17:46:46 -0400
Hi Jay, welcome back!

Is breastmilk a solid or clear liquid? Well, cow milk is considered a
solid - that is, it's digested by the body more like "food" than like a
clear liquid. But, extrapolating from advice given about continuing to
breastfeed through a GI illness (during which you might withold food & cow's
milk, but would be best advised to continue to BF), I would say that for the
purposes of NPO pre-op, you should be able to nurse up to 2 hrs. before
surgery. But, you know, even with the anesthesiologists you get different
recommendations - like some would say "NPO after midnight" even for a 3:00
PM surgery (this actually happened to me!) while others would allow liquids
up to 2 hrs. pre-op. So....

Cathy B.