From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 09:49:21 -0700
I responded about the tandem nursing woes and the mum sent a note to me
this morning describing how she felt about the responses she received. She
asked me to post this for her.

<<I appreciate the time you took to list all the ideas you had about
weaning.  And I also appreciate that you disagreed with all those nasty

at times with the amount of time my eldest,William, nurses. It is the baby,

scott, that watches the oldest nurse all day. My eldest told me that he
likes"night-nights" better than ice cream. He really LOVES nursing. In
fact,he may be jealous of his brother, but overall he is a very bright and
social boy.  He enjoys playdough, crayons, paint, puzzles,books, storytime,

swimming. He just takes frequent breaks and lengthy breaks in between
activities. We live in Florida and he has been to disney, vancouver, grand
canyon. We are not a couch potato family. I enjoyed using the sling. At 4
months the baby was 20 pounds and it was too much to carry him and be
chasing a toddler all around.

Dad is helpful at times and not so helpful at other times. When he is  it
is appreciated. BUT William still comes back to nurse. New beginnings
suggested telling the toddler that you will count to twenty then nursing
will be over. You could count as fast or slowly as you want depending.
William didn't like that either. The next night my husband said when he
counted to 20 your back rub will be over. I didn't like that either.

Books I have read include mothers guide to the nursing toddler, every thing

by dr.sears,  Breast Feeding answer book, Motherwears' parenting from the
heart. Maggies weaning ,The cuddlers, Michelle the nursing toddler. No one
is an expert on parenting, I am open to what these authors have to say on
the subject. I certainly don't consider myself a bad parent

I really don't think food allergies is an issue.  When i was pregnant
william did nurse 2-3times a day and he did eat a wide variety food.

My life is not ruined. I love my beautiful children and husband. I am
successful in my education and career.  HOWEVER , at times things get
frustrating.

I have used you to respond to the various comments that I read.I am not
sure how to post this.  If you wouldn't mind posting it I would appreciate
it.>>

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia
mailto:[log in to unmask]