From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:07:46 +0100
Hi All,
I've had it and it's a common side-effect from the use of high-dose
steroidal metered dose inhalers (MDIs) in asthma, such as Becloforte. I
did everything recommended to me to avoid the oral thrush, but was
plagued by it until I tried a different, more modern asthma inhaler
(Flixotide) and stopped all oral steroids and antibiotics (I was on huge
doses due to an unrelated kidney problem). I tried oral nystatin, but
other than the lozengers tasting quite pleasant and soothing it, they
didn't cure the problem.

A few years later, I read about a special diet to get rid of yeast
infections, on this very list, and that fixed up the infection I was
actually suffering at the time and prevented a recurrence. I checked it
out with my doctor and dietitian and felt quite annoyed that I hadn't
been advised to follow it when I had had the problem. It was a diet
involving cutting out simple sugars and all fermented products: that
included fruit juice, ordinary bread (I ate soda bread), soy sauce,
alcoholic drinks, vinegar etc. The idea is apparently to make the body
as unfavourable to the yeast infection as possible.

I regularly share this information on the asthma groups because it is
such a common problem in asthmatics of all ages. I don't suppose this
mother you are working with is asthmatic and on a steroidal MDI?

Oh, and the symptoms were an incredibly sore mouth, such that I couldn't
eat (no wonder babies have feeding problems with oral thrush) and
talking became painful. I had a yellowish-white coating on my tongue and
inside my mouth and throat, which was red at the edges and bled at it's
worst point. Even breathing hurt.

Later on, my dentist said my teeth were all coated in a nasty, sticky
layer that ordinary brushing just couldn't remove. He told me that that
was a symptom of chronic oral candiasis and it made me wonder what harm
it might do to these babies mouths if left untreated.

Fortunately, I was not a nursing mother at the time, but I thought
sharing my personal experience might help someone.
--
Anna H.
mailto: [log in to unmask]