Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 15:34:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I just occured to me, after reading Kate's post regarding the Border's employee trying to be nice and offering  a BF mom a "private place" to nurse, that I have actually done this very thing to a woman nursing her baby in the WIC waiting room.  Why?  I'm not sure.  After all, if she wanted a "private place" wouldn't she ask for one?  In fact, I too have become offended when offered a "private place" to nurse my 11 month old.  And the "offerer" often becomes the topic of discussion among my BF friends and collegues.  "Can you believe that guy (or lady)!?"  "How insensitive!"  "He/she was probabably never breastfed (ha, ha, ha, cackle, cackle)!"  
Looking back at that time at WIC, I think I truly just wanted to give her an option, like maybe she didn't think of it herself.  But, if I really wanted to support her and be "nice", I would have patted her on the back and said, "You go girl!"  I mean really, what better advertising than that!  She was just as proud to be BF her baby as I am.  
Having been on both ends of this issue, I realize that sometimes people really do have kind intentions.  I certainly did.  I honestly was not embarrassed by this woman feeding her baby.  I think I simply wanted to give her the option of a quiet place (NOT the bathroom ;-P ).

Theresa Chmiel, CLC, ICCE
lovin' it in GORGEOUS Pensacola, FL

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2