Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:50:24 -0400
In the area where I work there seems to be a prevailing attitude among the
physicians that breastfeeding is best but it is so very hard to do.
Burdening overstressed  exhausted parents with all the problems that come
along with breastfeeding is asking an awful lot. They seem to think that
parents should be encouraged a bit but one can only ask a parent to do so
much, and asking them to prolong breastfeeding in the face of a problem is a
terrible thing to do. Thus the attitude is, if it's broke, give formula. If
it ain't broke, send the formula along for when it does break.
Perhaps this attitude is one of the many reasons that  our area has a very
low breastfeeding rate.

Somehow our physicians have totally missed the fact that breastfeeding can
be fulfilling, joyful, and a wonderful experience. Really. They have become
bogged down in the difficult cases. They do not hear the glowing tales of
joy that one might hear, say, at a La Leche League meeting, nor do they read
the stories of happy breastfeeding that one might read in a LLL magazine.
They do not have the experience of a mother calling them to say how much she
loves breastfeeding and how glad she is to have continued. Sometimes I
believe, those of us who see many many problems can also begin to forget the
joys of breastfeeding, especially as our children grow older and we are no
longer enjoying that prolactin surge. That is why I believe it is so helpful
to "go back to the well", attend some LLL meetings and expose our jaded
brains to happy breastfeeding. Learn to fix the problems but keep our eyes
on the goal.

I would love to know how to let physicians know that breastfeeding is not a
horribly difficult most nutritious food for the baby.  Any thoughts on this?

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
and LLL Leader :<)
Live in North Carolina, work in South Carolina