From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 23:48:32 -0400
John M. Proffitt  (is that of the firm of Profitt and Loss, LLP.?) writes:

>Well...New York City has both commercial and public classical radio;
>ditto Chicago; ditto Los Angeles (with a more checkered history, losing
>one commercial operation and gaining another).

I was delighted rediscovering WNYC-FM.  I was in a rental car.  I don't
even bother with a radio in mine or at home.  NYC has managed to shut up
the political pundits.  Most of the afternoon is devoted to the best of the
classics, running from symphonies to chamber music, which they play lots
of.  And none of the affectation of WQXR, which by the way now plays a lot
of movie soundtracks.

One drawback to NYC is that they are sponsored heavily by Sloan-Kettering
and I don't want to hear over-and-over that if I come down with cancer,
they cut patients up better than any other hospital in the country.  I
got it!  I know where to reach them if I should ever need them.  In the
meantime, it's a little grotesque and keeps bursting the dreamy balloon
of Bizet's breezy Symphony in C and the like.  I also know that there is
a great likelihood that an asteroid large enough to do catastrophic damage
to the entire earth is likely to hit us sooner or later.

Not looking a gift gravedigger in the mouth

Andrew Carlan