From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 15:33:32 -0500
Bill(Y) writes about two Australian COMMERCIAL classical stations in Sydney
and Brisbane:

>Subscribes and/or buys the Booklet of Programmes each month - Neither
>"Coast an arm or a leg"!!  Only heard the Sydney one on brief visits?? If
>2 "crummy little Aussie Hick Towns" can Do it What are you lot doing in the
>land of Free Enterprise??:-):-)

Making Celine Dion a very rich woman indeed.  However, I'd hardly call
Sydney a hick town.  In the US, there are pockets here and there.  There's
a wonderful classical station in Austin, Texas, run by volunteers, among
them our own Karl Miller.  Cleveland, Ohio, butt of many a standup comic's
jokes, has more than two, at least one of them commercial.  It seems to be
the big markets that have trouble.

Steve Schwartz