From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 15:41:26 PDT
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>It seems to me that in the 18th century (Baroque and Classical),
>the expectation of the last movement was to lighten and dispel.

Absolutely on target.  I would add that I generally find these classical
era last movements to be of much less excellence than first movements.
With that in mind, the last movement of Mozart's D minor piano concerto
is a gem, even with the frivolous theme.

In this case, Ulvi is criticizing a Mozart last movement which is one of
the better last movements of any work during the classical era.  However,
Ulvi has very high standards and remains true to them.

Don Satz