From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:20:39 +1000
Jon Johanning wrote:

>Actually, I like the shakuhachi better (it's more soothing; too much
>samisen can get on my nerves a little).  And you are right about Westerners
>taking up instruments like the shakuhachi and samisen.  If I weren't using
>up so much of my free time on the Western guitar, I would like to myself.

The shakuhachi has received a bit of attention here in Australia of late.
I'm not sure if he lives here now (I think though that he does) but we
have heard and seen a bit from Riley Lee - Shakuhachi Grandmaster.  The
Canadian(?) born Lee has recorded a CD with the Queensland Symphony
Orchestra on the ABC Classics label.  The music was written especially for
this occassion as it is the first time (or so we have been informed) that
music for shakuhachi and orchestra has been composed.  The composer is a
local fellow by the name of Sean O'Boyle.  He has created an orchestral
framework in each piece that allows Lee to maintain the traditional
inprovisatary playing of the shakuhachi.  The music is interesting but I
found that after awhile it started to sound all a bit the same.  Whether
or not Mr Johanning would still find it soothing, I cannot say.  I've not
heard the CD but have heard this music in a live performance with Lee and
the Queensland Youth Symphony.  For those who may be interested the CD
details are:

   Dreams Are Forever
   Riley Lee - shakuhachi
   Queensland Symphony Orchestra/Sean O'Boyle
   ABC Classics 462 723-2

Matty G