From:
Noboru Inoue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:51:09 +0900
Jon Johanning, Thank you for your comments.

I wrote:

>>One point to make sure: abandonment of one country's language(eg Japanese
>>language) leads to abandonment of its culture automatically(e.g.  Japanese
>>music and others).  Do you believe this or not? I don't.  Since we have
>>many funs in western music, and I believe many(?) classic music funs in
>>the world who know Takemitsu than those in Japan!

We also have many Takemitsu fun in Japan also, though his music is not so
often played, as far as I know.

And Jon responded:

>One thing that disappointed me when I first went to Japan was that NHK's
>radio music programs were almost entirely Western music (mostly classical),
>while I had been anticipating getting the chance to hear a lot of native,
>traditional Japanese music.

Probably we lost something and got another.  I cann't tell correctly.
Now, I am considering like this; don't we stop naming Western/Eastern(this
is a funny word, since earth is round!) music or North/South music, instead
of call them music of earth(not necessary calling "universe", so far, until
Martians bring their music to us).  Next century, I hope we will start
non-geopolitic and impersonal music(and arts, I contains Haiku) at least
in our mind.

N.Inoue