From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 22:31:19 -0400
Our protocol is 10-15cc per kg, if a baby needs to be fed (if not
nursing).  I had a baby who was fed 30-45cc of abm because the baby
wasn't nursing after birth (within 6 hours).  So all eve and night the
baby was fed this per protocol.  I came on the next am and felt this was
an excessive amount of abm (among other thoughts I had) and made a
comment that 10-15cc  would have been enough to feed, during the first
24 hours and would have prevented at least an overstretched stomach so
soon after delivery.  I was reminded of our policy and the possibility
we could be sued if a baby became dehydrated in the first day or two
because of insufficient fluid intake and policy wasn't followed.

What is policy at other hospitals?  I really felt this baby was over fed
and unhappy with the amount received from mom.  The baby did nurse,
great, but was at the breast very frequently the next day.  I just told
mom that was his way of making more milk.  She was fine.  One nurse told
her he was just using her as a pacifier.  Mom told her that was just
fine with her!

Need advice on this from anyone who has dealt with it.  Any comments
from our wise Drs. on
Lactnet?

Pam (Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE)