From:
"d.lasalle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:50:54 -0700
Hello everyone,
I just started receiving Lactnet and want to thank all of you for the information you are providing. I am a La Leche League Leader and have breastfed two children (longer than I ever imagined!).

I am replying to the question about breast pain.  I heard a mom describe this situation recently and then found an article in New Beginnings (circulated to members of La Leche League) describing  Nipple Vasospasm -A Manifestation of Raynaud's Phenomenon and a Preventable Cause of Breastfeeding Failure.  This is the title of an article on the Internet by Laureen and Carolyn Lawlor-Smith, two LCs in Australia.  There is a site listed as http://www.gp.org.au/cls/raynaud.html.  The New Beginnings article is in the July-August 1999 edition (title of article is Seeking Relief).  I am not familiar enough with the LLL Website to know if this is available there but it may be.  The mom who authored the New Beginnings article mentioned staying warm when nursing (she used a heating pad on one breast while nursing on the other), homeopathy, herbs avoiding stress and caffeine and exercising regularly.  In the end a prescription drug, Nifidipine at a very low dose  gave her dramatic results.

I hope this is helpful.
Diane LaSalle
Los Angeles