Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:54:14 -0400
A woman called me today who is currently exclusively breastfeeding a 21
week old baby.  This same woman called me 2 weeks ago, complaining of low
milk supply and baffled as to the cause.  This is her third child and all
her children have been exclusively breastfed with no bottles or artificial
nipples or any kind of other/feeding until they were old enough to drink
from cups and eat meals.

After running over the usual causes, and ruling them out, I suggested
pregnancy.  She insisted it was impossible since she's exclusive and no
periods yet, but took the test anyway and yes, she is pregnant.

Subsequent visit to doctor revealed she's about 6 weeks gestation.  She has
chosen to have a therapeutic abortion.  She does not however, wish to sever
her nursing relationship with her very young baby.  She is worried what
kind of effects this will have on her supply, and if the drugs will be
harmful for the baby.  She'll be gone just a few hours, and they decided
the father would bottlefeed EBM while she was gone.

I have searched the archives and found no prior mention of this situation.

FWIW the procedure will apparently be a simple D&C NOT under general
anasthesia.

Any feedback welcomed.

-Wendey (studying LC in Montreal where it's quite nice weather now and who
did not have noticable afterpains beyond the first couple days with her
non-pitocin baby)