Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 06:12:42 EDT
I do explain this pretty thoroughly because it gives the physiological basis
for letting the BABY decide how long to stay at the breast.  People are so
hung up on timing feedings: nurses and doctors in my area are still talking
about how many minutes to feed, and mothers and dads are looking for a recipe
that will tell them they are feeding the baby right.  When they ask me how
long feedings should last, I explain how the baby gets "skim milk" in the
beginning of the feed, to satisfy thirst and fill the stomach, and "half and
half" during those last few sleepy swallows.  It's not a difficult concept,
and it shows the parents how the feedback works between the baby and the
breast.  It also gives the rationale for letting the baby "finish the first
breast first," which is another little-known concept in South Jersey.

I've always believed---from my own experience as a mother---that people do
much better when they understand the reason behind any advice or instructions
they are given.  Then they can figure things out for themselves the next time.

Chris