From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:15:03 -0500
I am interested in finding out the source of the research sited on lactnet
a week or so ago about lactofree formula.   My gut sense is that lactose is
necessary for human development, maybe especially brain development, and to
provide lactose free formula has not been proven to any great degree to be
beneficial.
        Only thing I see is that is capitalizes on the great cow's milk vendetta
now the rage of health food aficionados.   Caveat:   I agree that cow's
milk may indeed be a problem, just as wheat, or soda is a problem---too
much reliance on a single food seems to set up a natural allergic response
in the body.  The response can be exhibited by a wide variety of symptoms.
  Seems like our bodies are designed for use (exercise), variety (more than
the daily 11 foods most Americans consume), and breastfeeding as the first
step to appropriate maturity of the gut so that it is impermeable to later
insults.
    Anyone have any information regarding the specific use of lactose in
the human species?  Seems like our milk is loaded for a reason.   Archives
did not produce any answers.    Michelle Scott, RD,MA,IBCLC in NH