From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:00:30 -0400
Well, all I have to say about that is ..."Hmmmppphhh"! I have some
experience with Waldorf, anthroposophy, eurythmy, etc. (my son went to
Waldorf school for a couple of years). Waldorf education has some very
beautiful aspects, and eurythmy can surely be beneficial for growing
children, but this "Anthroposophical doctor" is way off the mark in his
advice about breastfeeding.

It is wrong of any stripe of "professional" to disregard/contradict what is
*known* and research-based and to substitute his own "beliefs" for the facts
when advising parents (not that you were even there to be advised about
breastfeeding, for crying out loud!). I don't know what "Anthroposophy" has
to say about breastfeeding (and I wouldn't trust this guy's
interpretation!!!), but I do know lots about breastfeeding, and he is dead
wrong (esp. the mumbo-jumbo about BF having no value after 4 months!). I'm
not too sure what "Anthroposophical Medicine" is - our Waldorf school's
physician was a DO - but making such statements with whatever authority he
expects his title to convey is unethical. I don't even know who you would
file a complaint with.

If this had happened to me, I would have taken the matter up with the
teachers & parents at the school. I would offer to do an educational
presentation on breastfeeding, incorporating aspects of Waldorf education
that are compatible with BFing (and there certainly are many!)- build on the
strengths of BFing and the strengths of Waldorf philosophy, so that the
parents and teachers have better grounding in the reasons why BFing is so
important. And I'll bet that most of the parents at the school wouldn't have
any part of that "Anthroposophical Medicine" as it relates to breastfeeding,
if what this man said is indeed accurate within the theoretical framework of
anthroposophy!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY