Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lori Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:23:39 -0400
Dear List,

I have heard some about cranial sacral therapy. However, I have always been
a little skeptical about some of the more unusal or less mainstream
treatments and therapys, (such as herbals and chiropractic therapy etc), so
to be honest, I have skipped over reading about this sort of stuff .....
you will have to forgive me for this, I was raised by a RN and I am an RN
so I have a very medical outlook on things and just can't help
it!!!.....Now I have a client that perhaps may benefit from this. I have
searched archives, and while mention is made  of this therapy, no
description is given.  What I am looking for is info on exactly what this
sort of therapy does to the baby and what the effect is.

My client in a 30 year old 1st time mom who experienced a very quick and
natural birth with early and continuous contact with her baby.  The baby
would not latch and when examined by myself at about 6 hours of age was
found to be alert but had no rooting relex.  By the end of the 1st day mom
was pumping and offering pumped milk first by finger feeds and later by a
wide base bottle (as this began to drag on, parents requested alternative
methods to feed).  Mom continued to pump.

The baby was seen again at about 10 days of age and was found to have no
aversive behavior at the breast but again no rooing at all...even with the
bottle.  Parents were advised to treat the breastfeeding "as play" ...when
baby was receptine, try to nurse and if any adversive behavior began to
quit trying.  Also advised to spend alot of time skin to skin...co-bathing
and during awake times etc. Mom was still pumping.

Now at 5 weeks mom calls and says she has had a few latches but poor milk
tranfer and was ready for another visit with me.  At the breast the baby
still has no rooting.  Interestingly, the baby will either stick her tounge
out but keep her mouth closed or will open the mouth but bunch the tounge.
We had a very difficult time getting an open mouth and a tounge out all at
the same time...the baby was very patient with us, almost as if she was
trying her best, but just could not figure things out.  Eventually a good
latch was obtained and milk transfer observed, however it was quite an
ordeal to get to this.  I told mom that sucessfull feedings will encourage
the baby to adopt better techniques, however, I feel this baby  is
exhibiting some unusual behaviors (learned or otherwise), and wonder if
there is anything else that may work, and back to my original question...is
this baby a candiadte for cranial sacral work and what would be done?
When I mentioned my thoughts to the mom, she was familiar with the
words...she is a massage theapist, but she was interested in exactly what
would be done with a baby and gave permission to post.

Thank you for any input you may have on this intersting case,

Lori Peters RN  IBCLC
Kenosha, Wisconsin