Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:21:00 -0400
Rebecca DeYoung Daniels wrote, in part:
> This may be a way-out possibility, but if the toddler has always nursed
> frequently to the exclusion of many solids, have food allergies been
> ruled out?  I'm truly guessing that the toddler's behavior is a
> "parenting" issue, but it may be worth a glance at the allergy idea.  I
> think that there is something to be said for children who avoid (or
> claim to dislike) certain foods and, lo and behold, they are actually
> allergic or intolerant.  Again, unlikely, but...

I was going to mention this too. I have a 32mo daughter who also has always
nursed frequently to the exclusion of many solids. Her range of accepted
solids is extremely narrow ... and she started on solids very late. Although
we have not confirmed allergies or intolerances, she has shown some
reactions to foods and we strongly suspect that as the origin. For my
daughter, frequent nursing is a need more than it is a want.

I am a bit concerned about the tone of some of the replies on this thread. I
too agree that the needs of the entire family should be taken into account
and that the mother may need to be reminded that she can establish
boundaries.

But I also think that some of the replies make assumptions (ruling the
house, ruining her life) that were not in the original post, and IMO some of
the terms applied to the child's behavior are not appropriate when
discussing a child so young. The little guy must be in a lot of pain to be
acting out this way, and I'm not sure it serves anyone to label it as
obnoxious or bad.

JMHO,
Janice Berry, mom of Zack (11/30/92) and Gina (9/4/96)
Editorial consultant and lay breastfeeding counselor
Westerville, OH