Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Reulbach Wirtjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:11:57 -0600
Greetings from Iowa.... I'm working with a Mom and her second son... now
7weeks old, who has a terribly sore bottom.  Baby is gaining very well,
looks wonderful (developmentally appropriate), but has very frequent
stools (I saw some straining at stool when they were in to see me
yesterday).  Stools are loose, yellow, sometimes explosive.  Mom has had
baby to the dermatologist 4 times and baby still has a spot that is
bleeding in the perianal area.  I suggested yeast when this started at 2
weeks of age, but derm said "No" (and it didn't look like yeast
yesterday).

Mom has stopped all citrus.  I suggested to her that this could be an
allergic response to something in her diet, and she groaned when I
suggested she cut back on dairy. (Clue??).  I also suggsted the
frequency and consistency of stool might be foremilk/hindmilk imbalance,
and suggested nursing one side only per feeding.

I'm stumped on where to go from here.  As usual, the derm is suggesting
se wean the baby and try some formula.  Mom is dead set against this
idea.

Any ideas??  I need your input.

Susan Wirtjes RN IBCLC

from:    Susan, in Iowa (is this heaven?)
mailto: [log in to unmask]

"What you permit, you promote"