From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:24:14 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>But there *are* no explorations of the human condition or of ideas or
>emotions in Magic Flute!  (Again, w/ the exception of Papageno.) There
>are only recitations of platitudes.  What could be more superficial
>than Tamino's falling in love w/ Pamina upon seeing her picture?

Yes.  I have heard that the whole opera is a parable.  Tamino's falling
in love with the girl's picture is likened to an innocent's love for Jesus,
aided an encouraged by the Queen of the Night, the Catholic Church.  The
other gang represents some other outfit--possibly the freemasons, possibly
a more general brotherhood of beings who regard themselves as more than the
church--who appear, at first sight to be austere and inflexible, but are
quite forgiving in the end.

So the human interest is very strained.  Don't even ask me where I got this
garbage; my sources would not be happy.  It goes without saying that what
i give here is an oversimplified version of the theory.

arch