From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 13:34:26 +1000
Would it mean the end of civilisation as we know it if the CD simply told
you the sort of information that we now find on the back and dispensed with
the inclusion of essays on the music? In other words, I wonder how many of
us ever read the notes carefully *every time* we buy a CD? I quote the case
of Laszlo Lajtha whose Marco Polo CDs have a very brief biography on the
back of the case, including the important information for those to whom his
name is unfamiliar - his dates and country of birth.  Would it be unfair
for the record companies to assume that anyone who wants to know more will
seek it elsewhere?

The thread has mentioned the fact that some CDs have up to four different
essays, which would require negotiations with and payments to four
different writers.  Perhaps those with experience in producing could give
us a rough idea of how much as a percentage of the total production cost
the notes would be.  I'm not naive enough to believe that the company would
pass the savings on, but there are still, it is rumoured, some record
companies with ethics.

Richard Pennycuick