From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 07:57:46 +1000
Edgar Beach wrote:

>Recently picked up an LP recording (at Academy in NYC) of the Symphonie
>Fantastique arranged for Piano by Liszt.  .....Can anyone recommend another
>performance?

I have a version on Naxos by Idil Biret which I assume is different from
the Finnadar you mentioned, but presumably similar in interpretation.  I
think she's a fine pianist - love her Brahms - but I wonder whether she's
making as good a case as she can for a transcription that might not have
been all that successful in the first place, says he retiring to fallout
shelter as outraged Liszt lovers attack.

I'm not sure whether the Hyperion series has reached this yet, but if not,
it will.  I don't know of any other versions.

Richard Pennycuick