From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:25:33 +1000
Eric Kisch confided:

>....  At times of deepest depression or despair, in my earlier days,
>I found I could regain my even keel by listening to Kapell's Bach Partita
>recording.

I can't find my copy of it, but this reminded me of the section in the
novel, 2001:  A Space Odyssey, in which Bowman is on his own in his
crippled spaceship and playing tapes of Bach keyboard music to console
himself.  This wasn't in the movie and I think Arthur C Clarke wrote his
novel after his screenplay based on his short story, or something like
that.  Thirty years ago, I couldn't relate to that sort of Bach as a
source of consolation.  Now, I can.

Richard Pennycuick