From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:28:22 EDT
First of all, thanks to all who suggested alternate recordings.  I thought
that some of the soloists were really off and in general the performance
just seemed lifeless to me.  Let me be clear by stating that I am not
hostile towards JEG.  However, I have an LP of BWV 147 with the Academy of
St.  Martin's of the Field with David Willcocks conducting and it is just
a world of difference.  The problem with this LP, however, is that like
many LPs it has a lot of crackling and distortion that seriously mar this
otherwise fine recording...Sigh.

I kept my receipt for the JEG and claimed that the disk had a skip in it.
Ordinarily I wouldn't dream of doing this but I had just shelled out full
price for the sucker and I figured with all the money I've given to this
store, they owed me one.  I exchanged the Bach for Chailly's Mahler #5.
But thats another story.......FWIW I thought the Chailly was wonderful.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)