From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 09:45:47 +1000
James Zehm wrote:

>Brings to mind that I've heard when Berlioz was in his experiment period,
>he experimented, naturally, with "masswirkung" and he should have composed
>a piece for 4 orchestras, which should be placed at each wall of a church
>with the audience in the middle...can anyone provide more info on this?

This is the Requiem.  Coincidentally, this was on TV on Good Friday in
Australia, a 1989 version in Regensburg Cathedral conducted by Colin Davis.
I was also fortunate enough to hear it in St Paul's in London - a truly
overwhelming experience.  But the piece is not all sound and fury.

There are many versions about, including Davis's on Philips.  The old Munch
one on RCA has a lot to recommend it, not least the filler - a wonderful
Fantastique.

Richard Pennycuick