From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:51:45 -0700
Making musical discoveries is always exciting and today I made one.  To
my shame, I had not heard of (or I had completely overlooked) the American
composer Paul Creston.  Certainly until today I had never heard a note of
his music.  This afternoon that was put right.

Today BBC Radio 3 began a four-part series (75 minutes each part) spanning
the life and recorded legacy of Sir John Barbirolli to mark his centenary
that falls this December.  Today's programme covered his early years up
until his appointment to the Halle in 1943.  This meant that his seven
years as Musical Director of the New York Philharmonic was covered and,
among the items from those years that were played, was a recording of a
concert performance Sir John gave in 1943 with the New York Philharmonic
of Creston's "Threnody".  A work of about 12 minutes that was utterly
captivating and deeply moving - real tingles down the spine stuff.  I have
looked in the List archive and Creston has been mentioned, a little, but
not much.  In an old Penguin Guide I can find just one work recorded.  I
want to hear more Paul Creston.  Can I? I want to hear more about Paul
Creston.  Tell me.

I know that I'm showing my ignorance, but you have to do that in order to
learn.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.