From:
MARY BLACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 09:47:32 +1000
Following those very interesting posts of co-sleeping and in particular James McKenna's thorough analysis.

We ended up redefining "bed". We looked at what we wanted from a "bed" and the list went as follows
one long and very tall person who likes sleeping diagonally
active bf baby, one more on way, likely to sleep with us
firm mattreses to prevent bad backs
not wanting to squash babies
Not wanting them to fall out of bed and hurt themselves
need to both read late at night and not start world war 3 over the lights

And then we came up with our "bed" which measures 10 feet by seven feet, is a wooden platform a few inches off the ground, has two double futons ( one rock hard and the other firm) and a variety of quilts or covers depending on the season.

It also functions as a place for all sorts of activities, you can roll it up when you want to clean and it did not cost the earth.  Everyone who sees it thinks we are mad but looks a little envious. I'm glad we did not succumb to the "norm" of an expensive  double bed (cultural or just commercial imperialism)  and it seems like our instincts now make perfect scientific sense too.

We believe it even has it's own microclimate.....

regards

Mary E Black
Doctor, Mother and Bed Designer