Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:36:21 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
Dear Lactnetters: I've been reading this subject with interest, hoping that someone would come up with this observation.  The doctors are challenging you professionally, saying in effect "well if you REALLY want to have this opportunity...you need to talk about drying up!"  I would say that it would be a crime if you turned this one down.  They have challenged you openly.  Besides, when I was challenged the same way, it turned into a very pro-breastfeeding outcome.  One of our hospital accounts asked us to design a simple handpump with instructions on "how to dry up your milk."  We agreed to do it, but printed our 24 hour Breastfeeding Mother's Helpling very prominently on these "breast management kits".  Our helpline was ringing off the hook with moms who said, "I was going to dry up because I really didn't want to breastfeed, but when I saw that I had milk and my husband was complaining about the cost of formula, I though "why am I doing this.  Can I start breastfeeding now even though the baby is 6 days old?"  Obviously, it's best when you have a safety net for the moms, but probably those moms would never have considered breastfeeding unless they had received a breast management kit.  Maybe you should consider giving a class act presentation that will, at the least, teach the docs how a mom can "manage her breasts" so that ALL THAT MILK that comes in will not cause her too much pain.  Transition early in the lecture into a narrative about how many women are remorseful that they didn't try to breastfeed and that a "slow and easy" method of drying up will "preserve the option".  Hey, if we can make them ponder and then observe their healthy milk supply, we will win some.  If we simply turn down the chance to teach, we have lost them.  Even if one doctor is motivated by your talk, think of the difference she/he could make with all the patients they see month to month.  Best wishes to everyone....
PS. To those of you that I haven't contacted lately, my father is in the final stages of Alzheimer's and I'm only managing the most essential phone calls.  Thanks for your support in our struggle these past few years.
By the way, I procured breastmilk for him during his second stage and I swear that his memory improved for awhile.  Looking back, though, my grandma said he breastfed for 4 years!  
Best wishes to all.  Elena Taggart Medo, founder, White River Concepts

ATOM RSS1 RSS2