From:
Leibovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:05:44 +0200
A short while ago I posted about a lecture on bf I was asked to give at a
conference on primary pediatrics for family physicians. Two days ago the
organizer  of this conference (a family physician) wrote me more details,
and his idea was that my lecture should be something like : Frequently
asked questions on bf. He also sent me a list on the questions he thaught
important. The list is something like the table of contents of Ruth
Lawrence - mastitis, engorgement, benefits of human milk, diseases of the
mother, diseases of the infant, differences between human milk and formula,
weaning, drugs, jaundice, etc. etc.
I wrote back explaining that I could at best cover three of these subjects
in 45 minutes, and I chose the most frequent problems that are referred to
me - drugs, sore breasts (mastitis and thrush) and maybe sore nipples.
These are the subjects I think many doctors need more information about.

The organizer called me and asked me to talk about how to stop bf - how to
dry up milk. He said that family physicians encounter this problem very
often, and he, and the other organizers, feel that this is very important
information for them. He says that some docs are still giving out
bromocriptine. I tried to explain that in the little time I have the
subjects I chose seem more important to me, but he tried to get me to talk
on drying-up too, though of course it is my choice.

What would you do? I really feel that this is NOT what I want to talk
about, though of course all mothers are our patients, and we have to
respect their choices.

What DO you do to women who don't bf, either from birth, or after a short
time? I don't really know, because, as this doc said, women come to me if
they DO WANT to bf and have problems. I just know about gradual weaning.
What do you do when a baby dies?

I would really appreciate your comments on this problem. The conference is
in three weeks.

Thanks,

Mira Leibovich, MD, IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]