Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 01:15:33 EDT
i want to thank everyone who has had ideas about this m-j study, esp. carol
l'esperance. i called about the study today, and the perky person who
answered the phone is more than happy to send me the information they send to
mothers. i also called the irb and have not connected with the person yet in
that department. i plan to try to review the consent form and find out what
level of knowledge anyone had about the formula risk. unfortunately, the
person i did speak to said the have almost enough participants for that
study. she did say they were looking for "mothers who planned to use formula
around three months or did not object to it," which doesn't sound very
promising.

hey, when someone wants in our weaning study that is planning to wean a small
baby (under two years), i try to talk them OUT of it, even though they would
be very helpful in the study.

they are also sponsoring a study in which preemies will be given iron drops
at 3 months of age, no formula involved. whew. apparently the intent of the
previous study, giving formula supplements, is to have one group receive high
iron formula and one group receive low iron formula (enfamil) and to test the
zinc levels of the babies. the odd thing that is not clear to me yet is that
they are providing breast pumps to the mothers. presumably to pump when the
formula is offered, or am i thinking too optimistically?

enquiring mind will share more information as i get it.

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation
denver colorado