Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:12:19 -0400
Nobody commented on my question, so I will put it to you all again. Am I
missing something here? Can some one explain the difference to me?

1. Woman becomes pregnant, and then finds out she is HIV positive.  She
decides to abort, everyone supports her.  She gets counselling and grief
management.  Everyone tells her she made the decision she had to make. Risk
of death of the baby 100%.

2. Woman becomes pregnant, and then she finds out she is HIV positive. She
decides to give birth, and breastfeed the baby. Risk of death of the baby,
though not certain, about 30%, twice as high, perhaps, than if she didn't
breastfeed. State takes away her baby, everyone implies she is an
irresponsible person. State goes to court to prevent her from breastfeeding
and getting her baby back.

Again, I would ask that this not become a discussion on abortion. I just
want to know why the state thinks option 1 is just fine, but option two, is
so awful that the baby is taken from the parents.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC