From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:22:10 -0500
Hi All:

Here I am sitting with some trillions of neurons in my brain trying to
figure out how much water to put in the barrels so that when my HFCS55 comes
I can dilute it down to 50% sugars (my usual spring feed when I was feeding
sucrose).  I note with some dismay that with only 1 million neurons the bees
are able to judge syrup concentration with great accuracy both when they are
gathering nectar, and when they are capping honey.

Now the method I used is as follows:

The density of HFCS55 at 50% is 1.23
So a 200 litre barrel at 50% will have 123 kg. of sugars, 123 kg. of water

The density of HFCS55 at 77% when delivered should be 1.385

77% of  x  kg.  = 123 kg.

x = 123 * 100  /  77  =  159 kg.

At a density of 1.385 kg/l

159 kg  / 1.385 kg/l  =  115 litres

So *IF* my calculation is correct, I should put 85 litres of water in each
200 litre barrel and then top them up with HFCS55 when the tanker arrives.

The problem is, my intuition doesn't agree with my calculation.  I somehow
feel that this is going to be too dilute.  I might even recall having read
on this list of someone adding a little water to their barrels, but I don't
think that it was this much.

Could anyone with some experience help please?  Will I get good mixing just
pumping into the barrels (the HFCS55 is supposed to come at near 80 degrees F)?

Thanks, Stan

thinking, its obviously not how many neurons you got, but how you use them